Nigeria was thrown into mourning with the unfortunate death of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Attahiru Ibrahim, and ten others in an ill-fated plane crash in Kaduna on Friday, May 21.
Below are ten (10) things to remember about the late Army Chief.
1. He was born in Doka, Kaduna North L.G of Kaduna State.
2. He was a member of the 35 regular course of the Nigerian Defence Academy and in the course of his career still returned as Chief Instructor, Army Wing of the Academy.
3. Hamza was sacked by former General Buratai in 2017 from his position as Commander of the Army at the Boko Haram battle front.
5. He was the former General Officer Commander of the 82 Division of the Nigerian Army, Enugu before his appointment as Chief of Army Staff.
6. He put up an adjudged outstanding outing as one time Theatre Commander Operation LAFIYA DOLE (the Counter Terrorism and Counter Insurgency Outfit in North Eastern Nigeria), during which he reportedly brought relative stability to the Northern region with mass surrender of several Boko Haram combatants.
7. As the Commander of the Army in the North East, he was given a deadline of July 2017 by his principal, General Ibrahim Butatai, to deliver Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, before he was later sacked from the position.
8. He was one of the most decorated combatants of his set with several International honours especially from UN Peace Keeping Missions.
9. His military career spanned from 1984 till May 2021 when he died at the rank of Lieutenant General.
10. He was a rugged combatant who lived and died in the state where he swore to give his life in the fight against banditory and crime.
May his soul rest in peace.