Abuja not safe with Boko Haram element in Niger — Governor

0
52
Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress

Niger State Governor, Sani Bello, on Monday, expressed fears that Abuja, the country’s capital is no longer safe as Boko Haram terrorists had taken over a part of his state and hoisting their flag in Kaure village from where they had made incursions into more than 50 villages.

The governor lamented that over 50 villages, which were overrun by the terrorists and bandits, had been deserted by original inhabitants.

In his words, “I am confirming that there are Boko Haram elements around Kaure in the Shiroro Local Government of Niger State. They have taken over the territory. They have hoisted their flag. I am confirming to you now that they have taken over the wives of people by force.”

Describing the situation in the state as critical and pathetic, Bello said over 3,000 villagers escaped to Minna on Sunday night alone, while several others were in camps in Gwada and other places.

“The majority of the displaced persons will have to remain in this camp in Minna because their villages have been taken over by Boko Haram terrorists and bandits. Their wives have been seized from them and forcefully attached to Boko Haram elements,” he said.

He warned that the Boko Haram terrorists were trying to make Kaure their home and headquarters like they did in Sambisa forest, adding that while Sambisa forest is several kilometres away from Abuja, Kaure is only two hours drive to Abuja.

He explained that his administration had been asking the Federal Government to come to the aid of the state in dealing with the insecurity, adding that such efforts had not yielded desired results thereby making it possible for the terrorists to occupy a part of the state.

Addressing the governor at the IDP camp, a youth leader, Bulus Esu, said his people in Kuchi, one of the most populated towns in the Munya Local Government Area, had been displaced by the terrorists.

He said, “For three weeks now, there is no person living in Kuchi town and there is no food for the fleeing residents. The bandits have entered very deep into the area and have overrun several villages. They have occupied Kuchi.”

Esu said the bandits, two weeks ago, demanded N5m ransom from the people of Kampana to prevent them from being kidnapped.

He added, “The people did this to avoid kidnap. However, when they came back, they asked the women to cook food for them after which they still raped the women.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here