Seme border not yet open for vehicle importation – Customs

0
59

Customs spokesman Hussaini Abdullahi explained that there is no pronouncement from the service to lift the ban on vehicle importation through the Seme border at all.

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) disclosed that the federal government has not lifted the ban on vehicle importation through the Seme border.

Customs Public Relations Officer (CPRO) Seme Area Command, Hussaini Abdullahi, made this known recently in an interview in Seme, Lagos State.

Abdullahi explained that the service had not made such a pronouncement at all, though a proposal was written by some freight forwarders to the federal government following advice from Ademola Adegoroye, the then Minister of State for Transportation.

He said that the former minister had visited the border to inaugurate some projects sometime in February when the freight forwarders put up a complaint to him about how the ban had affected them.

The minister had advised the freight forwarders and members of the border community then to put their requests in writing.

The Customs spokesman said that a recent visit by the Director of Road Transport in the Ministry of Transportation, Ibrahim Musa, only confirmed that the letter by the freight forwarders had been received and acted upon by the ministry by forwarding it to higher authority.

Recall that Seme border was among the four land borders reopened by the federal government on December 16, 2020 by the then Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed.

Before reopening the four land borders, the federal government had on August 21, 2019, ordered the closure of Nigerian borders to curb smuggling of goods and weapons.

(NAN)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here