The World Health Organisation has said the violence that broke out in Sudan on Saturday has killed 270 people and injured 2,600 so far. The Director General of the organisation, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, said this during a virtual press briefing yesterday.
Violence broke out in Sudan over the weekend between the nation’s two top generals, trapping millions of people in the process. The Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces have, however, agreed to a 24-hour ceasefire starting after numerous calls for a halt to the clash.
“Tragically, three workers from the World Food Programme have also been killed. I condemn all loss of life and we stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Sudan.
The heaviest fighting is currently in Khartoum,” he said. According to him, movement has been restricted due to insecurity, creating challenges for health workers and ambulances, to reach health facilities, and putting further lives at risk.
“The supplies that the WHO distributed to health facilities prior to this recent escalation of conflict are now exhaust- ed. Hospitals in Khartoum receiving injured civilians are reporting shortages of medical personnel and life- saving medical supplies.”